A 3-year-old boy died after a shed he was playing in caught fire Monday night in the rural town of Warren.
Firefighters say the flames broke out before 5:30 p.m. near the intersection of Slavens Road and Marracci Road.
Firefighters say other kids inside the shed got out safely, but one little boy did not.
Oregon State Police identified the boy as Nathan Hines of St. Helens.
According to the Scappoose Rural Fire District, the shed fire was started by children playing with a lighter.
Neighbor Renee O'Berdorf says she was outside working in her garden moments before the fire started.
She heard the children laughing and playing while she was working. She says it wasn't until she heard one of the children yelling about a fire that she became worried.
O'Berdorf says she looked up but still didn't see any flames.
Then, within a matter of seconds, she says the flames were jumping several feet into the air and over tree tops.
It took crews 30 minutes to put out the fire, and another 15 minutes to discover the body in the rubble.
All that remains of the shed is support beams. Neighbors say the owners of the 60-by-20 foot structure stored hay inside the shed prior to the fire. They say it's a popular place to play for neighborhood children.
Firefighters from Scappoose Fire District and Columbia County Rural Fire responded to the fire Monday night. Fire investigators were still at the scene Tuesday to piece together exactly what happened.
Thursday, July 31 2014 11:57 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:57:19 GMT
As the town of Dundee and countless different law enforcement agencies continue in their search for Jennifer Huston, a local PI is weighing in on the case with his own theories.More >
As the town of Dundee and countless different law enforcement agencies continue in their search for Jennifer Huston, a local PI is weighing in on the case with his own theories about what happened to the mother.More >