Gresham firefighters say a family was forced from their home when a fire started in a children's bedroom early this morning.
The father rushed into the room and, with his bare hands, threw a burning television set out the window and onto the lawn.
Firefighters say he suffered burns to his hands and smoke inhalation and is being treated at an area hospital.
The mother was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. She's been released.
The two children were not hurt.
Fire crews responded about 12:40 a.m. to the home in the 800-block of northeast Fourth Street in Gresham.
When they arrived, the family - a mother, father and twin 10-year-old girls - were outside.
There were several animals in the house at the time of the fire. The father rushed into the house to save a litter of kittens. Firefighters gave oxygen to a cat who was suffering from smoke inhalation.
Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:29 PM EDT2014-09-16 22:29:57 GMT
Jesse Helt, the homeless man who accompanied Miley Cyrus to the MTV Video Music Awards and then accepted her award for Video of the Year, made an appearance in court Tuesday and was officially arraigned.More >
Less than a month after taking the stage at the MTV Video Music Awards, Jesse Helt appeared in a Polk County courtroom to be arraigned on a probation violation charge.More >