'Mayor of 42nd Avenue' murder still unsolved - KPTV - FOX 12

'Mayor of 42nd Avenue' murder still unsolved

Posted: Updated:

Eddie Morgan was affectionately known as the "Mayor of 42nd Avenue," but in May 1994, Portland police cold case investigators say, someone shot and killed him.

"No reason for it, just standing there minding his own business and somebody shot him.  Can you explain that?" asked Shar Fisher, who knew Morgan well.

Retired homicide detective Mike Stahlman is reviewing the unsolved murder case.  He also lived near Northeast 42nd Avenue and remembers Morgan's daily trips up and down the street.

"He would walk. Just walk, walk, walk, all the time, day and night you'd see him all the time," Stahlman said.

If you look closely at the corner of Northeast 42nd and Alberta, you'll still see the impression Morgan left behind.

A small marble memorial and some fading plastic flowers mark the spot where he died, right on the street he loved, where police said someone gunned him down.

"Neighbors heard shots. A woman looked out and saw him falling. He was just walking down the street," Stahlman said.

Investigators said it was Memorial Day 1994 about 4 a.m., the 46-year-old man with the mental capacity of a young child was shot multiple times while standing near a bus bench.

The crime stunned neighbors and merchants who'd grown accustomed to Morgan's daily visits.

Morgan's presence is still alive at the Wilshire Tavern, where he was Fisher's unofficial assistant.

"I'd send him up to get a bag of ice and he'd get a 7-Up," Fisher said. "I'd send him to get change. He was trustworthy."

Trustworthy and child-like, Fisher said Morgan was harmless, a gentle man whose daily routine always included the weather report.

"He was the weatherman," she recalled.  "He'd say it was snowing in the mountains and he'd say it was snowing on 42nd, if it was."

A dark-colored vehicle was seen leaving the area with more than one person inside shortly after the shooting.

Investigators had no motive for his murder and while tips did trickle in, nothing panned out.

"There was no indication from anyone that lived there that he had a run-in with anyone, made threats or been threatened," Stahlman said.

To this day on Northeast 42nd Avenue, Morgan's smiling face on a reward poster stares out the window of the pizza parlor, still greeting passers-by.

Meantime, Fisher said Morgan's mother died a few years ago, never knowing who killed her son.

Fisher is still hoping someone with information about the murder will come forward.

"He was a friend to everybody and a good friend to probably nobody, but he had family and he was important to them," she said. "Tell somebody, so we can all know. It's important to people like me and there's more people like me."

If you have any information, call Crimestoppers at 503-823-help (4357).  

You can also submit anonymous tips online at www.crimestoppersoforegon.com/submit.php. 

Next Thursday at 10 p.m. on FOX 12's Most Wanted "Cold Case Unit," we'll bring you an unsolved murder from the 1980s: The case of Denise Jordan, a young Portland mother investigators said was strangled and left in a dumpster.

Copyright 2011 KPTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.