A 3-year-old girl is recovering from accidentally swallowing 37 high-powered rare earth Buckyball magnets.
At first her parents didn't know why 3-year-old Payton Bushnell was feeling so sick two weeks ago. They thought she just caught the stomach flu.
After her symptoms didn't get any better, they rushed her to the doctor. Eventually, doctors took an X-ray of her stomach, which quite possibly saved her life.
"They saw a circle had formed in her stomach, and they thought she swallowed a bracelet," said Payton's mother, Kelli Bushnell.
Once doctors tried to remove it from her stomach, they realized they were dealing with not just one, but 37 high-powered magnets.
Doctors say the magnets snapped her intestines together and ripped three holes in her lower intestine and one in her stomach.
"In all the research I have done, I have never seen any child swallow more than 10 magnets," said Sandy Nipper, R.N., from Randall Children's Hospital at Legacy Emanuel's Safety Store.
"When I heard 37 magnets were swallowed, my nurse's mind raced to what taking 37 strong magnets could do to a fantastic little 3-year-old girl,and it frightened me to death," said Nipper.
Doctors at Randall Children's Hospital at Legacy Emanuel immediately took Payton into surgery and were fortunately able to save her in time. They say she is now on her way to a full recovery.
"Her mom and I prayed and hoped shed get through it," said Payton's father, Aaron Bushnell. "When they roll your daughter out with tubes sticking out of her, you don't know how strong you are until all you can be, is strong."
"It's a miracle she is doing as well as she is," said Nipper.
Her parents are speaking out to FOX 12 in hopes others will learn about the dangers that magnets present to children.
"If we had any idea what those magnets could have done to our daughter's intestines I would have never had them in our house, "said Kelli Bushnell.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports there have been 22 cases of children swallowing magnets since the year 2009.
Doctors say it's not just Buckyball magnets that present a danger, it is essentially any loose magnet pieces from toys or even jewelry that are left unmonitored.
If you suspect your child has ingested a magnet, you should seek immediate medical attention.
Doctors say magnet ingestion may be misdiagnosed, so they urge you to pay close attention and to describe to your medical provider any non-specific abdominal symptoms, such as abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Doctors advise all small magnets and small objects with magnets should be kept away from young children who might mistakenly or intentionally swallow them.
They also suggest you be on the lookout for loose magnetic pieces that may have fallen loose from toys and/or building sets.
Doctors say you should also inspect play areas for missing or dislodged magnets.
Parents can also register on the CPSC Commission website to receive toy recall announcements.
Copyright KPTV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Saturday, May 25 2013 1:52 AM EDT2013-05-25 05:52:05 GMT
A West Albany High School student is accused of building a bomb with the intent of detonating it at school. The 17-year-old was arrested Thursday night and taken to the Linn Benton Juvenile Detention FacilityMore >
The 17-year-old West Albany High School student was arrested on charges of possession and manufacture of a destructive device.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 7:33 PM EDT2013-05-24 23:33:41 GMT
A boy was flown to a Bend hospital after investigators said he was accidentally shot by a family member. It happened at 10:40 a.m. Friday on Thicket Lane in the Crooked River Ranch community of centralMore >
A boy was flown to a Bend hospital after investigators said he was accidentally shot by a family member.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 7:29 PM EDT2013-05-24 23:29:33 GMT
A Fox 12 viewer helped police catch a suspected hit-and-run driver accused of leaving a jackknifed trailer and an injured 72-year-old woman on the side of Interstate 5. Washington State Patrol releasedMore >
A Fox 12 viewer helped police catch a suspected hit-and-run driver accused of leaving a jackknifed trailer and an injured 72-year-old woman on the side of Interstate 5.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 6:26 PM EDT2013-05-24 22:26:14 GMT
A bridge on Interstate 5 in northern Washington collapsed Thursday evening, sending people and cars into the water. Washington State Patrol troopers confirmed both lanes of the Skagit River Bridge collapsedMore >
Cars crawled through detours Friday afternoon, a day after an Interstate 5 bridge collapsed in northern Washington. PHOTOS l VIDEO | RELATED: Bridge history More >
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford denied Friday that he smokes crack cocaine and said he is not an addict after a video purported to show him using the drug. Ford did not say whether he has ever used crack.More >
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford denied that he smokes crack cocaine and said he is not an addict, breaking a week of silence over reports of a video purportedly showing him using the drug. Critics were not appeased, with one city...More >
Friday, May 24 2013 7:45 PM EDT2013-05-24 23:45:45 GMT
The wet weather caused a giant branch to come crashing down outside a popular northwest Portland restaurant and lounge. The branch came down outside the Gypsy Lounge around 6:30 a.m. Friday at the cornerMore >
The wet weather caused a giant branch to come crashing down outside a popular northwest Portland restaurant and lounge.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 7:57 PM EDT2013-05-24 23:57:18 GMT
New technology is making it possible for out of town families to check-in on babies in the neonatal intensive care unit at Legacy Randall Children's Hospital. The system is called Nicview and RandallMore >
New technology is making it possible for out-of-town families to check in on babies in the neonatal intensive care unit at Legacy Randall Children's Hospital.More >