Everyone inside Who Song and Larry's on the Vancouver waterfront had to evacuate the building Monday after smoke was seen wafting down from the attic.
Investigators said they were called to the restaurant at 1:20 p.m. They found that a light above the second-floor kitchen malfunctioned and caused an electrical fire in the attic. A single sprinkler head in the attic helped diminish the flames until firefighters could put them out.
Employees said only a handful of customers were inside the restaurant when the fire started.
"The fire department was here on time, they did an awesome job and made sure that everyone was evacuated in time that the building was safe," said Jewel Walls, who works at the restaurant.
A restoration company spent hours assessing the damage and cleaning up on Monday. Structural damage is estimated at $40,000, but the total could increase when water and smoke damage are considered, investigators said.
There is no word on when the restaurant will reopen, but most of the damage is located on the upper floors.
Copyright KPTV (Meredith Corporation) 2012. All rights reserved.