Banana Split Monte Cristo
Carthay Circle Restaurant
Disney California Adventure Park
Chiffon cake, serves 10
Bananas Foster Sauce
For chiffon cake:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Lightly spray 15 x 10 X 1-inch jellyroll pan with non-stick spray. Fit with waxed paper or parchment paper and lightly spray again with non-stick spray.
3. Beat eggs on low speed in deep-sided bowl until broken down using whip attachment of mixer.
4. Slowly add sugar to eggs and continue mixing for 1 to 2 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl and continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
5. Add vanilla and cold water; continue whipping until all ingredeients are thoroguhly incorporated.
6. Mix flour, cream of tartar and baking soda in medium-sized bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture on low speed until no flour lumps remain.
7. Pour batter into prepared jellyroll pan and bake until golden brown and springs to touch, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
8. Run small knife around edges of pan once cake is cooled. Place another 15 x 10 X 1-inch jellyroll pan on counter and cover pan with large sheet of waxed paper. Invert cake onto second pan adn remove waxed paper frmo bottom of cake.
9. Cut cake in half and spread raspberry preserves on half, leaving about 1/2-inch margin around edges. Top evenly with sliced bananas. Place other half of cake on top and press together lghtly to ensure top sticks to filling. Slice into 10 square pieces and refrigerate until ready to batter.
For Bananas Foster sauce:
1. While cake is baking, melt butter over medium heat in small saucepan.
2. Add brown sugar and bring to boil. Add cream and stir well. Return to a boil, reduce heat and stir until mixture thickens.
Kepp warm until ready to serve.
1. Mix panko crumbs and corn flake crums in shallow bowl. Set aside.
2. Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, orange zest, vanilla extract and banana liquor in a separate bowl.
3. Dip chiffon cake sandwiches into batter for about 30 seconds. Coat in bread crumb mixture.
4. Heat canola oil to 350 F in large pot.
5. Drop coated sandwiches two at a time into pan and fry until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes, turning after about 30 seconds.
Drain on paper towl-lined plate
1. Place cooked sandwiches in shallow serving bowls and top with favorite ice cream. Drizzle with warm Bananas Foster sauce. Serve immediately.