Two brothers act quickly to save sister trapped on roof - KPTV - FOX 12

Two brothers act quickly to save sister trapped on roof of burning home

Posted: Updated:
LAKE OSWEGO, OR (KPTV) -

A Lake Oswego family who escaped a raging house fire Tuesday morning gave an exclusive interview to FOX 12 about how they got everyone out alive.

Around 8:45 a.m. Tuesday, fire broke out at the home on Woodland Terrace and 18-year-old Jackson Walker was the first one to see it outside his bedroom window.
    
"I heard what sounded like snapping wood," said Jackson. "So I figured that was something bad and then I saw the flames shooting out from the deck."

Walker ran downstairs and alerted his mom and then his younger brother, Nathan, ran outside.

But they realized that their 15-year-old sister, Molly, was stuck upstairs behind a wall of smoke.

"I tried to get my sister, but I couldn't because the smoke was too thick," Jackson Walker said. "So I had to go back down."

The teens' mother, Kathleen Walker, said she saw smoke pouring out of Molly's bedroom and she panicked.

"It was a minute, feeling like an hour or more, not knowing if these guys were safe", said Kathleen Walker. "But we all met and Molly was up there, and my initial thought was to tell her to jump."

Luckily, the Walkers had a ladder in their garage.

The two boys snapped it together and put it up to their sister's front window.

They said the ladder was shaky and Molly Walker was scared, but that's when Lake Oswego firefighters arrived.

Officials said they happened to be just down the street and saw smoke before the 911 call even came in to dispatch.

"Nathan was half way up the ladder when they ran on and helped get her down," Kathleen Walker said.

Everyone got out safely and crews put out in the fire in minutes.

Wading through a sopping wet mess of insulation and blackened furniture, Jackson Walker took FOX 12's crew on a tour of the damage inside the house.

He held up pieces from the family's collection of musical instruments, including a charred guitar and melted keyboard.

It's a disappointing sight for the recent high school graduate who plans to study music education at Portland State University. But on Tuesday, his mother said she's proud of how he and his brother saved what is most important.

"Jackson ran up to get his little sister and Nathan got the ladder to get his sister," she said. "They're heroes."

Investigators believe a candle left on the back deck probably started the fire.

They estimate the cost of damages to be near $200,000.

Copyright 2012 KPTV (Meredith Corporation.) All rights reserved.

More News

Lake Oswego house fire sidebar

Updated:

Four family members were taken to a hospital after a house fire in Lake Oswego on Tuesday. SLIDESHOW: House fire photos More>>

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.