A Wilsonville couple says their rescue dog returned the favor this weekend, saving their lives.
The couple's Lhasa Apso had a "Lassie moment" late Saturday night when a fire started in the attic of their one story home on Fairway Drive inside the Charbonneau golf community. Chuck and Susan Eggleston were asleep when they say their smoke alarm went off but didn't wake them up. When their home began filling with smoke, their 4-year-old shelter dog Lulu began growling and barking.
When Chuck got up to see why the dog was barking, he discovered a huge fire had spread through the attic.
"Lulu was absolutely insistent that we get up," Susan Eggleston said. "We've had Lulu for over a year - she's a special adoption dog. She certainly did us a great big favor in return."
It took 42 firefighters about 40 minutes to put out the flames, according to an incident report.
The Egglestons say their house was completely destroyed by the fire, as well as most of their belongings which were soaked by firefighters putting out the flames.
However, by Sunday afternoon the Egglestons seemed calm and at ease as Lulu became the star in a community dog fashion show Susan Eggleston had been organizing for weeks.
"We just adore her and are so glad we have her," Susan Eggleston said.
No one was injured in the fire.
Copyright 2012 KPTV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.