Police responded to reports of a ruckus in a Salem park Saturday and arrived to find teenagers and young adults having bad reactions to a liquid designer drug they had ingested in the nose.
Police said the group of 16- to 21-year-olds had varying reactions. One teenager reported feeling as though spiders were crawling all over his body and asked paramedics whether he was going to die. They also had elevated heart rates, police said.
"It really concerned me; we didn't know what was going on. All of a sudden we see this guy get hauled off on a stretcher, yelling and screaming at the top of his lungs," said Jason Hoyt, a neighbor who heard the commotion and came to check it out. "I knew he was on something by the way he was acting."
Police said at least one teenager reported they had taken a compound called 25B. It's found in common items and when altered can be a hallucinogen, police said. It's not illegal, but can be fatal. Several of the young people in the park were treated and released from Salem Hospital.
Because the substance they reported using is not illegal, no one faces drug charges at this time. That could change depending on the results of toxicology tests, police said.
Copyright KPTV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.