Firefighters say cigarettes caused Washougal fire - KPTV - FOX 12

Firefighters say cigarettes caused Washougal fire

Posted: Updated:
WASHOUGAL, WA (KPTV) -

A fire that caused upward of $100,000 was started by cigarettes discarded in a plastic bucket.

Firefighters were called to the home on Fairway Drive in Washougal at 1:40 a.m. Monday. The fire started on the back deck where the homeowner put cigarette butts into the bucket, according to investigators.

The fire reached the attic through ventilation screens, but crews managed to knock it down quickly and stop it from spreading further.

The fire caused significant damage to the inside of the home, as well as the neighbors house from radiant heat.

Investigators estimate the damage to be $75,000 to $100,000.

The homeowners were able to get out safely, but firefighters said there was no evidence of working smoke detectors inside the home.

Copyright 2012 KPTV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.