Heating pad blamed for house fire that badly burns woman - KPTV - FOX 12

Heating pad blamed for house fire that badly burns woman

Posted: Updated:
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

A heating pad is being blamed for a fire that badly burned a woman early Friday morning in north Portland.

The fire broke out just before 3 a.m. Friday at a home off North Trenton Street.

Neighbors told FOX 12 that they heard some muffling sounds coming from the home. They came outside and saw a large amount of smoke coming from the home next door.

As they approached the home, a woman who lives inside came out with her clothes on fire, neighbors said. It appeared as if some of them had melted on her. She was trying to take some of them off, neighbors added.

Medics arrived on scene and took the woman, who family identified as Eunice Crowder, to Legacy Emanuel Hospital to be treated for what her nephew called third-degree burns.

Investigators said she discovered a burning pillow in her bedroom. As she tried to put it out, the fire spread to her clothes and other household items.

Firefighters told FOX 12 that the home was very cluttered, and they were having a difficult time getting back to the area where the fire was burning because of several large piles of belongings that were spotted throughout the home. They were eventually able to reach the fire and get the flames out.

Investigators said the heating pad was involved in starting the fire, but it's not yet known if it malfunctioned or if it was being used outside of the manufacturer's specifications.

Damages are estimated at $37,500.

Copyright 2012 KPTV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.