Candles blamed for duplex fire, $80,000 in damage - KPTV - FOX 12

Candles blamed for duplex fire, $80,000 in damage

Posted: Updated:
MILWAUKIE, OR (KPTV) -

Heavy black smoke poured out of a Milwaukie duplex on Friday afternoon before firefighters responded and put out the fire.

The fire broke out at 4811 SE Boardman Ave. around 12:30 p.m. Once crews arrived, they quickly went to work to extinguish the fire coming from the rear of one of the duplex units.

Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 25 minutes.

Investigators said Monday the cause of the fire appeared to be human error most likely linked to the careless use of candles.

The tenants had the power to their unit shut off the previous day and were using several candles to provide light in the home, according to Clackamas fire investigators.

Nobody was hurt, but the fire caused $80,000 in damage.

Firefighters said a safe alternative to candles are flameless candles available in stores.

Copyright 2012 KPTV (Meredith Corporation.) All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.