Lawyer has not withdrawn $100M suit over Newtown, but probably will
By WFSB Staff
NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) -
Eyewitness News has learned that a $100 million lawsuit against the state on behalf of two Sandy Hook Elementary School parents has not been withdrawn as of Tuesday afternoon, but could be, according to the New Haven-based attorney, who filed the claim.
According to Attorney Irving Pinsky, there is not a withdrawal on file with the Connecticut claims commissioner as of Tuesday afternoon, but there could be one in the near future.
Pinsky filed the original claim Thursday and previously told Eyewitness News that Connecticut "did not do enough to provide for their safety," referring to the children at Sandy Hook Elementary school.
"The fact is we have to work harder to stop it from happening again, because if we don't affectuate sophisticated scientific methods to stop it, it's gunna happen again," he said.
Adam Lanza shot and killed his mother while she slept earlier this month, and then went to Sandy Hook Elementary School where he shot and killed 20 children, six adults and then killed himself as police moved in.
Pinsky, who has more than 20 years of personal injury experience, also previously told Eyewitness News that Connecticut as well as other states are "failing to protect the children from guns."
"My intention in the whole matter is to stop the violence in the schools, which can be done," he said Tuesday.
Pinsky told Eyewitness News he has been the subject of hundreds of threats, including death threats.
On Tuesday, Eyewitness News visited Pinsky's office in New Haven. However, he at first refused to talk with the station and asked us to leave his property.
The Stamford Advocate reported Pinsky withdrew the suit, but said he might refile. He said he received new evidence on security at Sandy Hook Elementary School and is reviewing it.
However, Pinsky told Eyewitness News that the claim a withdrawal was not yet in the commissioner's office, but probably be filing one.
"The intent of this filing, or lack of filing, withdraw or whatever you want to call it is to calm the waters of all the stress some people seem to feel about this," he said.
Pinsky told Eyewitness News the he has a year to file.
"We will reserve all rights anyway's, so what's the difference?" he said.
Pinsky said he apologized for offending anyone, but he said people were upset about him filing "too early."
"But, the sooner you get the evidence the better off you are," he said.
On Monday, Attorney General George Jepsen's office released a statement, in which he said that he was "aware of no facts or legal theory under which the state of Connecticut should be liable for causing the harms inflicted at Sandy Hook Elementary School."
"The proposed lawsuit is utterly groundless," Jepsen told Eyewitness News Tuesday. "The facts don't support the contention the state somehow showed neglect."
Jepsen said he would defend the state in a potential lawsuit.
"I hope it is withdrawn. It is sad for the tragedy to play out in a courtroom or the commissioner's office," he said. "I hope it does get withdrawn but if not, we'll defend the state and taxpayers of Connecticut."
The Connecticut State Police are still investigating a motive for the killings.
Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Wednesday, May 22 2013 12:56 AM EDT2013-05-22 04:56:12 GMT
The body of a missing Portland woman has been found in Hawaii. A medical examiner's office in Hawaii confirmed Tuesday the body of Ivanice Harris was found near Yokohama Bay. A cause of death has notMore >
The medical examiner's office in Hawaii confirmed Tuesday the body of Ivanice Harris was found near Yokohama Bay. A cause of death has not yet been determined.More >
Wednesday, May 22 2013 9:27 PM EDT2013-05-23 01:27:53 GMT
The first City Target set to open in Portland is starting to take shape and on Wednesday, Fox 12 got an early peek inside. The store is located inside the Galleria building at 10th and Morrison. The CityMore >
The first City Target set to open in Portland is starting to take shape and on Wednesday, Fox 12 got an early peek inside.More >
Wednesday, May 22 2013 9:32 PM EDT2013-05-23 01:32:31 GMT
ORLANDO, FL (RNN) – A man with possible ties to a Boston Marathon bombing suspect was shot and killed after the FBI interviewed him early Wednesday. The FBI confirmed a special agent fatally shot a manMore >
A man killed Wednesday during questioning by the FBI said he and Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev were accomplices in a 2011 slaying. More >
Wednesday, May 22 2013 8:49 PM EDT2013-05-23 00:49:12 GMT
Investigators now say two men they believed to be posing as city fire inspectors are in fact licensed professionals, and run a legal business. The two men were seen walking into stores along SE HawthorneMore >
Investigators now say two men they believed to be posing as city fire inspectors are in fact licensed professionals and run a legal business. More >
Wednesday, May 22 2013 11:40 PM EDT2013-05-23 03:40:11 GMT
Fox 12's most wanted stole not once, but twice from the safe of a Catholic school in northeast Portland. Someone stole about $4000 from The Madeleine School. The first theft happened on Friday, and theMore >
Fox 12's most wanted stole not once, but twice from the safe of a Catholic school in northeast Portland.More >
Tuesday, May 21 2013 8:04 PM EDT2013-05-22 00:04:18 GMT
Surveillance cameras caught a thief on camera stealing from a southeast Portland salon. It happened Monday between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the Dosha Salon Spa, 3490 S.E. Hawthorne. The owners said a manMore >
A man wearing a bicycle helmet and a messenger bag stole an employee's purse from a Dosha Salon Spa.More >
Wednesday, May 22 2013 12:04 PM EDT2013-05-22 16:04:01 GMT
A man was arrested at the Centralia Police Station after showing up in handcuffs. The 21-year-old walked to the station Saturday and asked for help taking them off. He said a friend bought them at aMore >
A man was arrested at the Centralia Police Station after showing up in handcuffs.More >