Tualatin Valley firefighters rushed to stamp out the flames after a mattress reportedly caught fire in Tigard on Friday.
The fire broke out at a triplex at 9600 S.W. North Dakota St. around 12:25 p.m.
Fire crews found smoke coming from the eaves when they arrived. They called for an ambulance after one person appeared to be suffering from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters said the heavy black smoke and a lot of debris inside the home created problems for them as they fought that fire.
A neighbor said the people at the home smelled burning plastic inside, but as they tried to discover the source, the first floor of the home was already on fire.
"I saw the flames and smoke, and told them to close all the doors and windows, and to close my unit up, and then we just waited for the fire department," said Steve Cook, who lives in the unit next door to the one that burned.
Firefighters worked quickly to put the fire out and keep it from spreading to the nearby units.
Officials said the home didn't appear to have working smoke alarms.
Tigard police also responded to deal with a fight, possibly between tenants at the triplex. There's no word yet on whether any arrests were made.
The cause of the fire hasn't been officially determined.
Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.
Thursday, July 31 2014 11:57 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:57:19 GMT
As the town of Dundee and countless different law enforcement agencies continue in their search for Jennifer Huston, a local PI is weighing in on the case with his own theories.More >
As the town of Dundee and countless different law enforcement agencies continue in their search for Jennifer Huston, a local PI is weighing in on the case with his own theories about what happened to the mother.More >