Suspect guilty for man's death in The Dalles gets 22 months - KPTV - FOX 12

Suspect guilty for man's death in The Dalles gets 22 months in prison

Posted: Updated:
Carlos Medina Carlos Medina
Mark Labonte Mark Labonte
THE DALLES, OR (KPTV) -

A man responsible for the death of another man in a parking lot in The Dalles has been sentenced to less than two years behind bars.

Carlos Medina pleaded guilty Wednesday to the charge of criminally negligent homicide, a reduction from his original manslaughter charge.

He was sentenced to 22 months behind bars, with credit for time already served.

Mark Labonte was killed outside the Fred Meyer store on West Sixth Street in September. An autopsy confirmed he died of blunt force trauma to the head.

Investigators said the two men had been friends since childhood.

They were heading home from a restaurant when they got into a fight and Medina struck Labonte in the back of the head.

Police said Medina left the scene. While officers put out a warrant for his arrest, Labonte's family begged him to come forward. After four days, Medina turned himself in.

The family of Labonte released a statement to Fox 12 Wednesday night. It says the family is heartbroken over the sentence in this case.

"We feel like we are being punished for something we did not ask for," the statement said. "In our eyes this (is) saying it's OK to kill someone because in our eyes Medina is getting away with this."

Medina was also sentenced to three years post-prison supervision.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.