A bottle full of ammonia and bleach spilled onto the floor of a Vancouver high school classroom, and the fumes sickened four students and three staff members.
School officials said one student brought the bottle to class at Skyview High School and held it in front of another student. That student pushed it away, and the bottle spilled onto the floor.
"We were sitting in class and just about the end of the period the security guards came in and told us to evacuate the area and to get all of our stuff and go out the commons area," said Brandon Zink, a sophomore at the school.
The fumes started to make some of the students cough.
School staff cleared the area, and paramedics responded to treat at least four students, fire officials said.
In all, seven people were taken to Legacy Salmon Creek Hospital to be treated and were later released.
Parents were notified by a phone message alert that went out earlier in the day.
"For them to take that precaution that there was a spill and it was being taken care of, I'm pretty confident that they knew what they were doing," said Diane Neel, a parent of a student at Skyview.
Though the affected classroom was evacuated, the rest of the school is operating as normal.
A Vancouver hazmat team assessed the situation and collected any of the possible materials involved.
School officials said the student responsible was expelled from school on Thursday afternoon.
The 14-year-old freshman was also arrested by Clark County deputies.
Detectives said the boy was taken into custody and lodged at the Clark County Juvenile Detention Center. He is charged with two counts of assault and one count of reckless endangering.
There are no other suspects in the case, according to deputies, but the investigation is continuing.
"It's a serious incident whenever hazardous material is introduced into the school and people are exposed and injured," said Sgt. Fred Neiman with the Clark County Sheriff's Office.
Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.
Friday, May 17 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-17 23:16:53 GMT
One person has died in a crash near Harrisonville, MO, Thursday evening. The crash happened on Missouri Highway 7 and Walker Road. It involved a car and a tractor-trailer. Harrisonville is in Cass County.More >
Savannah Nash celebrated her 16th birthday last week. She died Thursday when her car slammed into a semi while she was texting during her first time driving by herself.More >
Saturday, May 18 2013 2:54 AM EDT2013-05-18 06:54:01 GMT
An Oregon girl abducted as a baby and missing for 18 years finally emerged in Dallas this week when her mother turned herself in to authorities, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Department. More >
An Oregon girl abducted as a baby and missing for 18 years finally emerged in Dallas this week when her mother turned herself in to authorities, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Department.More >
Sunday, May 19 2013 1:02 AM EDT2013-05-19 05:02:36 GMT
Sherry Lakey said her 32-year-old son, Scott, would probably be dead if it wasn't for a group of quick thinking neighbors. "He's doing ok," she said. "Thankfully, because he has two little girls to thinkMore >
Sherry Lakey said her 32-year-old son, Scott, would probably be dead if it wasn't for a group of quick-thinking neighbors.More >
Friday, May 17 2013 11:00 PM EDT2013-05-18 03:00:58 GMT
A masked man barged into a local marijuana dispensary and robbed two people at gunpoint. It happened at 10:45 a.m. Thursday morning at the Relief Medical Marijuana Facility on Southeast 122nd near Glisan.More >
An armed robber held a gun to the back of a woman's head and threatened to shoot her if he didn't get marijuana. More >
One of Alaska's most restless volcanoes has shot an ash cloud 15,000 feet into the air in an ongoing eruption that has drawn attention from a nearby community but isn't expected to threaten air traffic.More >
One of Alaska's most restless volcanoes shot an ash cloud 15,000 feet into the air Friday in an ongoing eruption that is visible for miles when the weather allows.More >
Wednesday, May 15 2013 2:57 PM EDT2013-05-15 18:57:11 GMT
The old saying goes, "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen." Perhaps, this applies to Kitchen Nightmares, as well. An Arizona bakery was featured on Friday's episode of the Gordon RamseyMore >
The old saying goes, "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen." Perhaps, this applies to Kitchen Nightmares, as well.More >