Police: One man dead after shooting outside medical center - KPTV - FOX 12

Three officers fired at suspect in deadly hospital shooting

Posted: Updated:

Police shot and killed a man described as a patient with a handgun in the employee parking lot of Portland Adventist Medical Center.

On Monday, Portland police provided additional details about Sunday night's officer-involved shooting.

Police were called to the scene just before 9:30 p.m. on reports of someone in the courtyard armed with a black handgun. Additional information was given to officers that the suspect was a patient and had moved to the employee parking lot.

As officers drove toward the scene, 911 dispatchers said the suspect pointed a gun at a hospital security vehicle.

Officers asked workers to put the hospital in lockdown and requested air support, a K-9 unit and medical personnel to respond to the scene.

Officers located the suspect in the hospital's employee parking lot and began giving him commands. Investigators said during the encounter, three officers fired shots and the suspect fell to the ground.

The officers approached the downed suspect with a ballistic shield, according to police, and provided medical aid. Medical personnel then checked the suspect and confirmed he had been killed.

An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday morning. The suspect's name will be released after he has been identified and family notifications have been made.

The three officers involved in the shooting are all assigned to the east precinct afternoon shift. They are Sgt. Nathan Voeller a 12-year veteran, Officer Andrew Hearst, a 3-year veteran, and Officer Royce Curtiss, a 7-year veteran.

They are all on paid administrative leave pending the ongoing investigation, as is standard police procedure. They are scheduled to be interviewed by investigators Wednesday.

Portland Adventist Medical Center issued a code silver warning Sunday night, indicating a combative person with a weapon on the hospital's property. No patients or staff members were injured, and full access to all hospital services was available again by Monday morning.

One witness was at an apartment complex nearby. He told FOX 12 that he heard the gunshots and then a woman started asking him what had happened.

"She said, 'If it was a gun, what kind of gun was it?' So, I told her I heard a bunch of it go off at once. So, we're talking maybe nine shots," he said.

Mayor Charlie Hales was at the scene during the incident, after being contacted by Portland police, but he did not observe the confrontation.

The mayor's office said he received a briefing Monday on the process of the investigation and how it will proceed.

Portland police said no additional details will be released until late Wednesday.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.