Malfunctioning oven blamed for middle school fire - KPTV - FOX 12

Malfunctioning oven blamed for middle school fire

Posted: Updated:
BEAVERTON, OR (KPTV) -

Fire fighters say a malfunctioning oven sparked a minor fire in the kitchen of Five Oaks Middle School in Beaverton.

It happened at around 11:39 a.m. Thursday. Crews arrived to find a light haze of smoke throughout the cafeteria and kitchen area, but the fire was already out.

The blaze was contained to the oven, and was extinguished by staff members using a fire extinguisher.

About 1,200 students were evacuated by staff prior to the firefighters arrival. It took about 30 minutes for fire crews to clear smoke from the cafeteria so students could return to class.

A Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue investigator determined that the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in the oven.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.