22 sickened with stomach virus after eating at Vancouver restaur - KPTV - FOX 12

22 sickened with stomach virus after eating at Vancouver restaurant

Posted: Updated:
VANCOUVER, WA (KPTV) -

A popular restaurant has temporarily closed after 22 customers were sickened by a stomach virus.

The customers reported eating at Billygan's Roadhouse last weekend.

Clark County Public Health officials say the customers likely have viral gastroenteritis. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.

A sign posted on the restaurant's door said it is closed for a deep cleaning and will reopen Sunday at 11 a.m.

Surfaces will need to be sanitized and potentially contaminated food has to be thrown out.

Public health officials did not find the source of the illness during a restaurant inspection. No employees or relatives of employees have reported GI illness in the past seven days.

They are considering a scenario in which a customer brought the virus into the restaurant.

"It's unlikely we'll ever be able to say this was the source of the outbreak," said Marni Storey, deputy director of Clark County Public Health. "It could have been anybody."

None of the 22 customers who became ill required medical attention. The average person got better after 27 hours.

Gastroenteritis is common and highly contagious. It can be caused by many viruses, including norovirus. Symptoms usually begin within one or two days.

Public health officials recommend washing your hands in warm, soapy water to prevent the spread of illness.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.