Oven catches fire in elementary school kitchen - KPTV - FOX 12

Oven catches fire in elementary school kitchen

Posted: Updated:
KEIZER, OR (KPTV) -

A fire in the kitchen of Kennedy Elementary School in Keizer forced students and staff to evacuate Wednesday.

A light haze of smoke appeared in the main hallway at 10:45 in the morning.

Firefighters were able to find the source of the problem, an industrial oven, and put the flames out.

No one was hurt.

Crews stayed for about a half hour to clear out the smoke.

Damage is estimated to be $10,000 for the oven alone.

Students were eventually relocated to the school gymnasium while staff continued airing out the school, and preparations were under way by food services to bring in sack lunches for students' lunch.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.