Home catches fire just days after couple's new baby arrives - KPTV - FOX 12

Home catches fire just days after couple's new baby arrives

Posted: Updated:
DAMASCUS, OR (KPTV) -

A heat lamp placed too close to some paper likely caused a fire that destroyed the inside of a Damascus-area home while the renters were at the hospital, fire investigators said Tuesday.

The fire happened Monday morning along Southeast Borges Road.

The couple that rents the house was getting ready to head home from the hospital after the birth of their first daughter when the fire broke out.

"My fiancee's mother called me as I was getting the baby and my fiancee checked out of the hospital and told me the house was on fire," said Marc Petrucelli, who's rented the home since last year. 

Someone passing by called 911 just after 6:30 a.m. Monday after seeing smoke coming from the home, investigators said. 

No one was at the home when the fire broke out because Petrucelli's two sons had gone to stay at their grandfather's home on Sunday night, he said.

"I was just focused on my boys' safety and my dad and trying to comprehend that they weren't in the house at the time. 'Cause we don't get a lot of sleep in the hospital for three nights, so I was thinking I was pretty fortunate that they weren't in the house," Petrucelli said. 

Petrucelli did have renters insurance, he said. He's now trying to find a more permanent place to stay.

His family is in need of clothes and food, especially for their three children, he said.

"I'm doing pretty good and I feel pretty fortunate that I have a new, healthy baby girl and a beautiful family," said Petrucelli. 

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.