Safety plan to be announced for SE Portland street - KPTV - FOX 12

Safety plan to be announced for SE Portland street

Posted: Updated: April 1, 2013 11:18 PM
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

Safety improvements for Southeast 136th Avenue will be announced Wednesday by Mayor Charlie Hales, according to his staff.

It is widely expected that he will announce the restoration of a sidewalk construction plan from Holgate Boulevard to Powell Boulevard.

The family of five-year-old Morgan Maynard-Cook is eagerly awaiting news of the plan after the little girl was killed crossing 136th near Ellis in late February.

"It's good to hear," said Connie Ruiz, Morgan's stepmother. "It's definitely a step. It's a start to what we want to see happen."

The previously-canceled sidewalk project did not include improvements to the area where Morgan was killed, but her family is hoping those improvements will eventually be made. They have a state representative working to make it happen.

"I can't answer for the fact that this has yet to happen and I can't change the fact that a life had to be lost in order to get the attention that it deserves, but I'll certainly do everything in my power going forward to make sure that it never happens again," said Rep. Shemia Fagan, who reached out to the mayor's office and offered help securing state funding to bring sidewalks to additional areas along 136th.

Fagan said the additional sidewalks for the area of 136th from Foster Road to Division Street would cost $3.6 million dollars.  She said the state funding source could be determined by the end of the legislative session.

Copyright KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.