Bartender burned in Bluehour restaurant fire - KPTV - FOX 12

Bartender burned in Bluehour restaurant fire

Posted: Updated:
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

A bartender at a popular restaurant in Portland's Pearl District is recovering this morning after he was burned by a candle.

It happened Thursday night at the Bluehour Restaurant on Northwest 13th Avenue between Davis and Everett streets after a candle fueled by a broken bottle of alcohol caught fire.

The fire eventually set off the sprinkler system. 

The bartender, Steve Grimm, suffered first- and second-degree burns to his arms and torso as he tried to get the blaze under control.

Grimm was taken to Emanuel Hospital.

A post on the Bluehour Facebook page said Grimm is expected to be released from the hospital Friday.

"The fire was the result of a high proof alcohol that inadvertently ignited while preparing a cocktail," the post said. "We would like to extend a huge thank you to our amazing staff for acting so quickly and efficiently."

Bluehour is closed for lunch Friday, but expects to open in time for happy hour at 4:30 p.m.

According to Portland Fire and Rescue, candles start more than 13,000 house fires in the United States each year.

They can be especially dangerous in a commercial setting. They advise to never leave a candle unattended and to put candles in a sturdy holder.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.