PSU football player visits practice after brain surgery - KPTV - FOX 12

PSU football player visits practice after brain surgery

Posted: Updated:

What a difference a week makes.

Last Friday, Portland State University football player Steven Long sat in a hospital room at OHSU, waiting for doctors to operate on his brain.

This Friday, he visited his teammates during a practice at Stott Field, the non-cancerous growth gone. He said the experience has put life into perspective.

"I'm really blessed because being there [in the hospital], you see a lot of things. You see a lot of older people," said Long. "And you see how fortunate, how blessed I am to be where I am."

With a bandana wrapped around his head to cover the small incision where surgeons removed the growth, Long spoke with his teammates and led them in a "Go Viks!" cheer.

"The biggest thing I told them is 'you never know what life is going to bring you,'" he said. "So just to be out there and hang out with those guys, just for a quick, short time, was a pleasure."

Long, who graduated from Lake Oswego High School and also played for Sherwood High, officially joined the team for spring ball. He "gray-shirted" last season, meaning he sat out while healing from an Achilles injury.

Early last Thursday morning, Long had two seizures in his campus dorm room. His girlfriend was with him at the time, and ran to Long's roommate for help. Adam Futter, who also plays on the football team, recognized Long was having a seizure right away.

"They have saved me. If Brogan [Long's girlfriend] wasn't there, I don't think I would have woken up. And if Adam wasn't there, who knows what would have happened," he said.

Long says doctors determined an infectious brain lesion, caused by a parasite, was causing the seizures.

His family thinks Long most likely got the parasite in Haiti, where he was born. He was adopted from Haiti when he was 4 years old.

Long isn't sure when he will be able to play football again, but he is hopeful he will return to the field.

"Our plan right now is to take it one day at a time," said Long. "I think the biggest thing is wait til my skull is healed and once we go from there, just see what happens. But I'm not worried. You can't be scared."

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.