Under new deficit-busting plan, B.V schools may reopen
BUENA VISTA TOWNSHIP, MI (WNEM) -
The school year may not be officially over for students in the Buena Vista district after all.
In another twist to the Buena Vista School District financial crisis, classes could resume as early as this week if the Buena Vista school board approved its deficit-elimination plan.
If the Buena Vista School Board approves the latest rendition tonight at 6 p.m., the State Superintendent of Education could approve the plan as early as Wednesday morning and classes could resume sometime this week.
The district laid off its teachers and all but three employees last Tuesday. It said it wouldn't make payroll because the state is withholding funding to recoup $580,000 after the school district failed to notify the state that it didn't operate an incarcerated youth program anymore.
Under Michigan law, schools can't receive state aid if they don't have an approved deficit plan.
If Flanagan approves the plan Wednesday, funding would be released and classes would resume.
On Monday, Flanagan and Buena Vista school officials announced a special camp for students as a temporary measure. Flanagan told TV5 the camp idea was only a backup plan until the deficit elimination plan was hammered out.
Stay with WNEM on air and online as we learn more about this developing story.
Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Do you think this breakthrough between the state and B.V. schools means the district's problems are over?
Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:
Tuesday, June 17 2014 7:17 PM EDT2014-06-17 23:17:56 GMT
Her own husband paid to have her killed. Instead, the Portland woman killed her attacker with her bare hands. Now, almost eight years later, her ex could walk free again. She hopes sharing her own desperateMore >
Her own husband paid to have her killed. Instead, the Portland woman killed her attacker with her bare hands. Now, almost eight years later, her ex could walk free again. More >
Sunday, August 31 2014 10:38 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:38:10 GMT
Silverton police are still searching for Jason Clifford Down, who is the main suspect in a fatal shooting Saturday afternoon. Police responded to shots fired in the 200 block of Olson Rd at 3:44pm. ItMore >
Detectives identified the victim who was shot and killed in Silverton on Saturday as 50-year-old Cassandra Wagner.More >
Sunday, August 31 2014 4:37 PM EDT2014-08-31 20:37:17 GMT
Photo Clackamas County Sheriffs Office
Clackamas Sheriff's Office responded Saturday afternoon to the report of a single vehicle crash in Molalla. The collision occurred on S. Palmer Rd, south of Hwy 213 at 4:40pm. An investigation revealedMore >
An 18-year-old is facing charges including DUII and assault after deputies said he flipped his truck with five other teenage passengers inside near Highway 213 in Molalla.More >