Cigarette in planter blamed for $1 million condo complex fire - KPTV - FOX 12

Cigarette in planter blamed for $1 million condo complex fire

Posted: Updated:
VANCOUVER, WA (KPTV) -

A fire at a Vancouver condo complex caused $1 million in damage and investigators said a cigarette is to blame.

Vancouver firefighters said Monday a cigarette discarded in a planter on a second-floor deck started the fire at 5264 N.E. 121st Ave. last Tuesday night.

Investigators said the planter was filled with potting soil. The cigarette smoldered and caught fire. Firefighters compared it to a bark dust fire.

Nobody was hurt, but it damaged or destroyed nine condos. Firefighters rescued at least four family pets.

Firefighters said smokers should put out cigarettes in a metal container containing sand or water.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.