Dad plans lawsuit after Doernbecher hand sanitizer fire - KPTV - FOX 12

Dad plans lawsuit after Doernbecher hand sanitizer fire

Posted: Updated:
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

The father of a Klamath Falls girl who was burned at Doernbecher Children's Hospital intends to file a lawsuit against the hospital.

The hospital confirms it's the target of a lawsuit from Stephen Lane, whose daughter Ireland Lane was being treated at the hospital back in February.

The 12-year-old girl suffered third-degree burns after a mixture of olive oil, hand sanitizer and static electricity sparked a fire on her shirt.

The fire burned Ireland from her stomach to her chin.

Her father said the fire could have been prevented, blames Doernbecher for negligent care and wants them to pay for damages.

"As Ireland Lane ran down the ninth-floor corridor on fire, Doembecher nurses failed to adequately perform reasonable lifesaving measures to extinguish the flames engulfing her," the complaint said.

A representative from OHSU's Doernbecher Children's Hospital declined comment "out of respect for the legal process and patient privacy."

When FOX 12 spoke with Ireland earlier this year, she described the fire.

"I felt really scared and ran out in the hallway, and all the nurses jumped on top of me, and then daddy ran out and jumped on top of me," she said.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.