Cigarettes in garbage bag blamed for Tigard apartment fire - KPTV - FOX 12

Cigarettes in garbage bag blamed for major Tigard apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
TIGARD, OR (KPTV) -

Firefighters battled a blaze at the Main Street Village Apartments in Tigard on Tuesday morning.

The fire on Maplewood Drive created a massive plume of smoke over the city of Tigard after it was first reported at 6:33 a.m.

Fire officials said there were no reports of injuries and everyone inside the apartments escaped before crews arrived.

Investigators said the fire began on the deck of a ground-level apartment and was started by the improper disposal of smoking materials, specifically cigarettes thrown in a plastic garbage bag.

The fire destroyed two apartments and cause water damage to a third.

Firefighters extinguished the main body of the fire within 30 minutes, and then focused on opening up walls and getting into attic space to make sure there were no hidden fires.

The Main Street Village Apartments is a large complex with hundreds of units.

Firefighters rescued several pets from the burning building, including Ruby Gudot's guinea pig.

Gudot said she woke up Tuesday to the sound of a neighbor banging on her door.

"I was really confused. I went outside and I heard - from outside my window - I heard glass crashing down. I saw flaming, smoking glass and I knew the building was on fire," Gudot said.

Gudot grabbed her dog and ran out the door. Her other four pets all survived.

"That makes me so happy. I love my pets and I'm really glad they're safe. That was my biggest worry," Gudot said.

A damage estimate is not yet available.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.