Five hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in Happy Valley - KPTV - FOX 12

Five hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in Happy Valley

Posted: Updated:
HAPPY VALLEY, OR (KPTV) -

A family of five was taken to a Portland hospital to be treated for possible carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday morning.

Clackamas County firefighters responded to a home on Southeast Constance Drive in Happy Valley at 6:35 a.m.

That's when a family member called 911 after noticing people in the home were all becoming nauseated and light-headed.

A Clackamas Fire District spokesman said all five victims - two teenagers, a grandparent, a mother and a father - showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, including nausea, vomiting and very red skin.

Gas readings were extremely high inside the house.

One teenage victim was found semi conscious when fire crews arrived, and a second person was also struggling. The other three victims were less affected.

Fire officials said the victims will receive hyperbaric chamber treatment at Providence hospital in Portland.

After an investigation, firefighters found the cause of the heightened levels of carbon monoxide to be a faulty gas water heater.

The home was being ventilated Tuesday morning to bring the air back to normal.

No neighboring homes were affected by the high carbon monoxide levels.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.