Police reports reveal further insight in Baby Elaina case - KPTV - FOX 12

Police reports reveal further insight in Baby Elaina case

Posted: Updated:
Steven King told police Elaina's remains were hidden in the upper storage area of his garage. Steven King told police Elaina's remains were hidden in the upper storage area of his garage.
Blood was found on the walls of the bedroom at the King residence, as well as on the bed. Blood was found on the walls of the bedroom at the King residence, as well as on the bed.
TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) -

The death of Elaina Steinfurth was a tragic and captivating story for the Toledo area last year.

Eighteen-month-old Elaina was reported missing on June 2, 2013. It was months later in December that her mother Angela Steinfurth pleaded guilty to murder and her ex-boyfriend Steven King admitted he killed Elaina by putting his hand over her nose and mouth until she stopped breathing.

Dozens of police reports, search warrants and photos have been released to Toledo News Now from the police. Those documents shed more light on what happened inside the investigation from day one.

On June 3, the day after Elaina was reported missing, Angela and Steven were interviewed separately by police.

During Steven's interview, he told police he ended the relationship with Angela about a week before because he didn't like her parenting skills and how she disciplined her daughters. He said he was told Angela hits Elaina on the head.

Both Angela and Steven said in those first interviews that Steven put the children to bed on the night of June 1, when Angela and her daughters came to stay at the King residence temporarily. They also said that during the day on June 2 only Steven ever checked on Elaina as she slept in the bedroom.

Angela told police that Elaina had been injured and that she believed Steven did it, although he had told her at the time that Elaina's 4-year-old sister Kylee accidentally hit Elaina while sleeping, resulting in a black eye and blood in her nose. Angela said she was afraid of Steven.

That same day, police interviewed Kylee Steinfurth, who told them Steven was not nice. The reports say Kylee told investigators to, "Take Steven to jail because he is being mean to my dad and my mom." Kylee also said Steven punched her in the leg, but that she did not see him hit anyone else.

A little more than a week later, Angela was arrested and charged with child endangerment for not reporting Elaina's injuries when they occurred.

On June 17, Angela agreed to give a statement. That was the first time she admitted Elaina was dead. Although she initially said she heard Elaina crying and then a thud when Steven was putting her to bed, Angela later recanted and said she was in the bedroom and saw Steven throw Elaina on the floor.

The next morning, Angela said Elaina was dead and Steven said he would "take care of her." She told investigators that Steven wrapped Elaina in a blanket and took her to the Maumee River.

Connie Elam, an inmate at the Lucas County Jail with Angela, came forward a few days later with a statement. Elam told investigators that Angela had told her the same story that she had previously told police, with the exception that according to Angela, Steven had been high on suboxone on the night of June 1, and that it was Angela that threw Elaina's body into the Maumee River.

More than a month after that, Steven King was arrested and charged with obstruction of justice on July 22. It wasn't until September 5 that he admitted to suffocating Elaina on June 2, but his story still differed from Angela's.

Steven maintained that he did not see any injuries on Elaina on the night of June 1 or the next morning. He said he put her down for a nap and they went to the store. Upon returning, Steven said Angela called him into the bedroom where Elaina was not breathing properly, so he performed CPR. He told investigators he was not in the room to see what Angela did to hurt Elaina.

Steven said blood came from Elaina's nose and mouth as a result of the CPR. He said he didn't know why Angela didn't call 911, but that he didn't because he was scared. He admitted to putting his hands over Elaina's nose and mouth and suffocating her, then said Angela blamed him and told him to get rid of Elaina's body.

Steven said he put Elaina's body in a garbage bag, then put the bag inside a box and put it in the upper storage area in the garage. That day, police searched the garage and found the box with Elaina's remains.

Toledo News Now will continue to look over these documents in an attempt to reveal the full story behind what happened to Elaina.

For all our coverage of Elaina's disappearance, click here.

Mobile users, click on the "Video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.