Court docs: Man accused of killing uncle was in 'blackout rage' - KPTV - FOX 12

Court docs: Man accused of killing uncle was in 'blackout-type rage'

Posted: Updated:
Matthew Bigboy in court Monday Matthew Bigboy in court Monday
Matthew Bigboy in court Monday Matthew Bigboy in court Monday
Matthew Bigboy, booking photo Matthew Bigboy, booking photo

A man accused of murdering his uncle said he went into a blackout-type rage during an argument and stabbed the 61-year-old victim, according to court documents.

Matthew Bigboy, 22, appeared in court for the first time on Monday on murder charges.

Portland police said they found the body of his uncle Eugene Bigboy, 61, at his home on the 5800 block of Northeast Center Commons Way on March 10.

Officers were called to check on his welfare after he missed a scheduled dialysis appointment.

Friends of the victim said he was already in poor health, but always had time to talk.

"If you wanted to know something about life, he'd tell you the Indian way of it," said Greg Woodruff.

According to court documents, officers at the scene said there were no immediate signs of homicidal violence.

However, an autopsy showed stab wounds to the man's back, along with fractured ribs, a fractured jaw and contusions to his head below his hair.

The cause of death was from a stab wound that damaged his lung, the medical examiner reported.

The man's family contacted detectives on March 12 to report that Eugene Bigboy's nephew had information about his uncle's death.

Eugene Bigboy initially told police that two unknown men had assaulted them by a nearby MAX platform, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Police said Eugene Bigboy claimed one of the attackers had stabbed his uncle in the back. So, according to court documents, Matthew Bigboy claimed he carried his uncle back to his apartment where he later died in his arms.

Detectives reviewed all TriMet surveillance footage for the areas and times Matthew Bigboy claimed the attack happened and could not locate any evidence of it.

No calls were made to 911 about any such assault, either, a probable cause affidavit states.

On Sunday, Matthew Bigboy was interviewed again. After being read his Miranda rights, he admitted that he was at his uncle's house early in the morning on March 10 and had been drinking when the two men got into an argument.

Court documents state that Matthew Bigboy told detectives that his uncle hit him in the face, causing him to go into a "blackout type rage."

He then pulled a knife from his pocket, stabbed his uncle several times in the back, threw him to the ground and stomped on his head, according to court documents.

Detectives said that Matthew Bigboy had no visible injuries. He also wrote an apology letter expressing remorse for killing his uncle, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Matthew Bigboy is in jail without bail. He pleaded not guilty Monday and is due back in court March 25.

Copyright 2014 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

  • Court docs: Man accused of killing uncle was in 'blackout-type rage'More>>

Powered by WorldNow
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.