Grandfather runs into burning RV to rescue grandkids - KPTV - FOX 12

Grandfather runs into burning RV to rescue twin granddaughters

Posted: Updated:

A family barely escaped a burning RV early Thursday morning. Now, a grandfather is in the hospital recovering from his injuries after he went back into the burning camper to save his grandkids.

It's been a long day for Sunya Laing and her family, but they're all grateful that they're alive.

The family is still trying to understand what happened after their RV burst into flames, as four of them slept inside.

"I guess a little after midnight all of a sudden we just heard this boom and I guess I got thrown out of the camper," said Sunya Laing.

The family believes the fire started at the propane tank. The flames spread from the middle of the RV to where 11-year-old twins, Jessie and Jaden were sleeping.

"Then I saw flames and that's when I heard my grandpa yelling and the flames went up after it started by the stove," said Jessie Laing, who escaped the burning camper.

It was their grandfather who jumped into action.

"He tried to get some of it out so he could get to us but he couldn't so he just went through the flames and got us," said Jessie.

Chris Laing rushed back in and was focused on one thing.

"All I can remember is him yelling for the kids; my kids, my kids and he ran back in there and got the girls," said Sunya Laing.

"He just yanked me and said Jaden jump and I jumped and I landed somewhere outside," said Jaden Laing, who escaped the fire.

Everyone got out OK.

The girls had minor burns to their feet. Jaden got a slight burn to her nose.

However, it was their grandpa who suffered the worst of it.

Chris got second and third degree burns to his arms and had blisters on his head and the bottoms of his feet.

"He doesn't think he's a hero but if we didn't have him we would not be here right now," added Jaden Laing.

The family knows things could have ended much differently if Chris didn't jump into action.

"Yeah, they wouldn't be here today if he didn't go get them," said Sunya Laing.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Chris remains in the hospital in Portland as he's treated for his burns. He was expected to be going home by the end of this week.

Copyright 2014 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.