Affidavit: Suspect in Battle Ground baseball bat death told poli - KPTV - FOX 12

Affidavit: Suspect in Battle Ground baseball bat death told police, 'I killed him'

Posted: Updated:
Stephen Reichow in court Monday. Stephen Reichow in court Monday.
Scene of murder investigation in Battle Ground. Scene of murder investigation in Battle Ground.

A murder suspect accused of using a baseball bat in the death of a man he had been hanging out with all day told police, "I killed him," according to court documents.

Stephen Reichow, 33, was arraigned in court Monday on the charge of first-degree murder.

Police said he was arrested after they responded to reports of a disturbance near Southeast Grace Avenue and 2nd Street late Saturday night.

According to a probable cause affidavit, witnesses reported seeing two men fighting, with one of them possibly holding a "cylindrical object."

Officers arrived and detained Reichow, who had blood all over his clothing, on his body and in his hair, the affidavit states.

Reichow was asked if he was hurt. He replied that he was not hurt, but "Brandon was," according to court documents, and when officers asked how hurt Brandon was, he replied "I killed him."

Brandon Maulding, 36, was found on the ground next to a nearby storage facility covered in blood and unconscious, but breathing, court documents state. He was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

A probable cause affidavit states a baseball bat with a "large amount of blood on it" was found less than a foot away from Maulding.

Reichow told investigators that he had gone to the river with Maulding and then back to Maulding's house earlier in the day.

They were then picked up by another friend who drove them to her storage facility to drop off some of her items, according to court documents.

While there, Reichow said Maulding, who had been drinking alcohol, began hitting a baseball bat against the heel of his foot and then took a combative tone accusing Reichow of stalking their mutual friend, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Reichow said he ran around the building and hid, court documents state, but Maulding came at him with the baseball bat, which Reichow managed to take away. At that point in describing what happened to police, Reichow stated, "at this point forward, I'll need an attorney," a probable cause affidavit states.

The mutual friend told investigators she had received a phone call from someone demanding $5,000 while they were at her storage unit and she then confronted Reichow, believing he was involved, according to court documents. Reichow then began to talk in a "belligerent scary manner" the woman told investigators.

Court documents state the woman told officers she ordered both men to leave and began to drive away, but she stopped after hearing the sound of an aluminum bat hitting the gravel. She said she saw the bat, but claimed it was not the same one that Maulding had found in her storage unit, according to a probable cause affidavit.

The Clark County Medical Examiner's Office reported Maulding died of blunt force trauma, with traumatic injuries to his skull and face.

Reichow's bail was set at $750,000 Monday. He is due back in court Aug. 13.

Copyright 2015 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.