HazMat team, firefighters respond to chemical fire in Salem - KPTV - FOX 12

HazMat team, firefighters respond to chemical fire in Salem

Posted: Updated:
Photos: Marion Co. Fire District #1 Photos: Marion Co. Fire District #1
SALEM, OR (KPTV) -

People in Salem were told to close their windows and shut off their air conditioners Tuesday afternoon after a chemical caught fire.

Marion County Fire District #1 firefighters and a HazMat team were called to Carlson Testing, located at 4060 Hudson Ave NE, after a 10-gallon container of capping compound (Sulfur Mortars) caught fire.

Employees of the business tried to extinguish the flames and moved the container outside, that's when it starting emitting vapors that could be hazardous.

Firefighters immediately evacuated Carlson Testing and requested the 9-1-1 center begin reverse calling businesses in the area asking them to seek shelter inside their business, close doors, windows and HVAC systems.

After an hour of assessment and inspection, crews said the fire was extinguished and the container had cooled down enough to stop the release of chemical vapors. The emitted Sulfur gas had dissipated and there is no longer a threat to the area.

Several employees were evaluated by medics and released.

A total of 28 personnel were on scene.

Copyright 2015 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.