Investigators: Deadly Vancouver condo fire started by unattended - KPTV - FOX 12

Investigators: Deadly Vancouver condo fire started by unattended cigarette

Posted: Updated: Aug 10, 2015 07:40 PM
VANCOUVER, WA (KPTV) -

A man died of smoke inhalation in a Vancouver condo fire that was started by an unattended cigarette, according to firefighters.

Crews were called out to the Forest Creek Condominiums on the 1700 block of Northeast 78th Street at 6:25 p.m. Saturday after neighbors called 911 to report smoke coming from a third-story unit.

A neighbor informed arriving firefighters that one person may have still been inside the burning condo.

Firefighters called for a second alarm and began an immediate search of the unit. Inside, they located 55-year-old Richard White, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

He was the only one living in the condo and no other injuries were reported.

Crews contained the fire to that condo, however five other units sustained smoke and water damage.

Investigators determined the cause of the fire was an unattended cigarette. The Clack County Medical Examiner reported White died of smoke inhalation.

Clark County Fire District 6 and the Vancouver Fire Department had 45 firefighters respond to the scene.

Copyright 2015 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.