Longview deck fire caused by improperly discarded smoking materi - KPTV - FOX 12

Longview deck fire caused by improperly discarded smoking material

Posted: Updated:
Source: Longview Police & Fire Source: Longview Police & Fire
LONGVIEW, WA (KPTV) -

Longview firefighters responded to a deck fire located in the 2900 block of Lilac Street around 12:51 p.m. on Wednesday.

A neighbor, Randy Greeley, noticed the smoke from his home two house away. While waiting for firefighters to arrive, Greeley attacked the fire with a garden hose.

Longview Police & Fire said there were two people asleep in the house and were not aware of the fire until firefighters arrived.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire. About 6' by 6' of the deck was destroyed.

"Luckily, this fire was caught before it extended to the attached home a few feet away" said Longview Battalion Chief Kevin Taylor. "This fire had been smoldering for many hours, and could easily have spread to the residence and had a much different outcome." 

LP&F said the cause of the fire is due to improperly discarded smoking materials.

Copyright 2015 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.