Candle starts Kelso house fire; man in wheelchair flown to hospi - KPTV - FOX 12

Candle starts Kelso house fire; man in wheelchair flown to hospital with burns

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue Photo: Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue
Photo: Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue Photo: Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue
KELSO, WA (KPTV) -

A man in a wheelchair was flown to the hospital in critical condition after suffering serious burns in a house fire that was caused by a candle, according to firefighters.

Investigators said a husband and wife were asleep in their home on the 200 block of Cunningham Road when the power went out at 2 a.m.

Firefighters said the woman got up and lit candles in the back of the house. The couple then later awoke to the sound of fire.

The husband is wheelchair-bound, firefighters said, and while his wife was able to get him out, he sustained burns on his arms, head and neck.

The woman was also taken to the hospital for respiratory issues.

Their pet dog was able to escape the fire, according to firefighters with Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue.  

The home is considered a total loss.

Copyright 2015 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.