Fire crews say SE Portland house fire caused by space heater - KPTV - FOX 12

Fire crews say SE Portland house fire caused by space heater

Posted: Updated:

Portland Fire and Rescue crews responded to a house fire just after 6:00 a.m. Monday in the 5400 block of Southeast 89th Avenue.

Once arriving on scene, the firefighters determined the fire was already out, but found a man with non-life-threatening burns who was transported to a local facility by ambulance.

According to the crews, the other residents of the home had been woken up by a smoke alarm and escaped through a back bedroom window, while another man living in the home had pulled a burning chair and couch out of the residence, where a neighbor put out the fire.

The crews determined the cause to be a propane space heater, which was in the living room heating the residence when it caught the two pieces of furniture on fire.

PF and R reminds homeowners that heating is the second leading cause of house fires, according to the U.S. Fire Administration, and that portable space heaters are the leading cause for fire deaths from home heating equipment.

They offer these safety tips when heating homes this winter.

  • Never use the stove or oven to heat your home.
  • Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including furniture, blankets, curtains, and paper products.
  • Choose space heaters that turn off automatically if they tip over.
  • Never use a space heater to dry clothing.
  • Avoid kerosene and propane heaters, as they can emit poisonous fumes and gases that can be extremely hazardous to your health. Some gases are referred to as the "silent killer"because they are colorless and odorless.

Copyright 2015 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.