Firefighters: Improperly discarded cigarette caused Tigard apart - KPTV - FOX 12

Firefighters: Improperly discarded cigarette caused Tigard apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue Photo: Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue
Photo: Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue Photo: Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue
TIGARD, OR (KPTV) -

An improperly discarded cigarette caused a fire at a Tigard apartment complex early Wednesday morning, according to firefighters.

Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews responded to the 12500 block of Southwest North Dakota Street at 12:30 a.m. and found heavy flames coming from an apartment balcony.

Neighbors reported helping to evacuate people from the building.

As firefighters worked to knock down the fire, additional crews performed a search of the building and were able to confirm everyone evacuated safely.

The building has 16 units. Smoke damage was reported in six of the apartments and the power was turned off to the entire building as a precaution.

The fire started on a balcony and spread into the apartment, according to investigators. A damage estimate was not immediately available.

Firefighters said the building did not have a fire sprinkler system.

There were no reports of any injuries.

A total of 35 firefighters responded to the scene, including TVF&R volunteers.

Copyright 2015 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.