Electric space heater causes SE Portland house fire - KPTV - FOX 12

Electric space heater causes SE Portland house fire

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: Portland Fire and Rescue Courtesy: Portland Fire and Rescue
Courtesy: Portland Fire and Rescue Courtesy: Portland Fire and Rescue
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

Police responded to a house fire at the 7000 block of southeast 66th Place early Friday morning, according to Portland Fire and Rescue.

Crews reported seeing flames above rooftops as they approached the area.

The fire was able to grow faster due to the high winds, according to fire crews.

A fire investigator determined that the cause of the fire was an electric space heater with flammable items close to it.

Officials said the heater automatically turned on as the temperature dropped during the evening, setting the items close by on fire.

Everyone was able to escape safely, including a pet iguana. However, three cats died in the fire.

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.