Tigard house fire caused by fireplace ashes in recycling bin - KPTV - FOX 12

Tigard house fire caused by fireplace ashes in recycling bin

Posted: Updated:
(Photo: Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue) (Photo: Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue)

Firefighters in Tigard battled a house fire that was caused by fireplace ashes in a recycling bin.

The incident occurred just before 6 p.m. Monday in the 11000 block of SW 126th Place, according to Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue. Crews were able to put out the flames and no one was injured, though a couple was displaced as a result of the fire. 

Investigators say the fire was started by ashes that were put in a plastic recycling bin next to the house. Firefighters advise you dispose of fireplace ashes in a metal container with a lid. 

TVF&R offered these additional safety tips: 

  • Treat all ashes and coals as hot, even when you think they've had time enough to cool. 
  • Allow ashes and coals to cool in the area where you had the fire for several days. Fireplaces, wood stoves and barbecues are designed to contain their heat safely. 
  • When disposing of ashes, transfer them to a metal container and wet them down. 
  • Keep the metal container outside your home and away from any combustibles. 
  • DO NOT place any other combustibles in the metal container.

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.