Cigarette causes oxygen tank to catch fire, damages Hillsboro ho - KPTV - FOX 12

Cigarette causes oxygen tank to catch fire, damages Hillsboro home

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: Hillsboro Fire and Rescue Courtesy: Hillsboro Fire and Rescue
Courtesy: Hillsboro Fire and Rescue Courtesy: Hillsboro Fire and Rescue
HILLSBORO, OR (KPTV) -

Hillsboro firefighters responded to a house fire Monday night after they received a call that an oxygen tank had gone up in flames.

Firefighters said they arrived at the scene around 11:52 p.m. at the 2200 block of Tanager Circle to find flames in one bedroom of the house and three residents standing outside.

Officials said a 59-year-old woman had been smoking in bed while using medical oxygen. She told firefighters that she had dropped her cigarette on the medical tubing and it caught fire.

The fire quickly spread to her bedding and furniture according to official reports.

Firefighters said the woman’s 63-year-old husband came to investigate and found his wife trying to extinguish the flames.

Crews said both husband and wife as well as the husband’s 93-year-old mother were able to get out of the house safely and dial 911.

Firefighters were quickly able to contain the blaze. The estimated damage is $10,000 according to officials. 

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.