Fire Bureau: Person cooking butane hash oil caused fires, explos - KPTV - FOX 12

Fire Bureau: Person cooking butane hash oil caused fires, explosions at NE Portland home

Posted: Updated:
Cans of butane outside the home in NE Portland (KPTV) Cans of butane outside the home in NE Portland (KPTV)
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

Explosions and fires inside and outside a northeast Portland house were started by someone cooking butane hash oil, according to Portland Fire investigators.

The explosions caused minor structural damage to the house on Northeast 11th Avenue, near Northeast Sandy Boulevard, on Monday night.

Ten people, including three children under age six, were in the home at the time but were not hurt.

Butane is used to extract oil from marijuana. It is highly flammable.

Darrell Thompson ran over to help his neighbors. He used a fire extinguisher to fight flames in one room, where he said the fire caused minor damage.

“The vapor from that butane was in that room,” he said. “The vapor caught fire in the room and it came out here. That’s when the fire and the explosions started happening.”

Thompson said the man who was cooking the hash oil is friends with people who live in the house.

He was making the hash oil in a small storage shed attached to the house and had at least 200 cans of butane, Thompson said.

“The guy was told not to do it in the first place, for this exact reason,” he said.

The fire is still being investigated.

No one has been charged at this time.

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.