Fairview officer released from hospital after late-night shootin - KPTV - FOX 12

Fairview officer released from hospital after late-night shooting in Gresham

Posted: Updated:

Gresham police are investigating an officer-involved shooting that took place late Wednesday night.

A Fairview officer and his Gresham Police partner responded to a report of a Caucasian man fleeing the scene after his car had crashed into a fence at 224 SE 188th Ave. around 11 p.m.

"These lights caught my eye, so I was turning left onto 188th I saw this car spinning and then I hear a boom," witness Ashley Baker said. "I couldn't tell what was hit though, I thought it was two cars."

The officer and his partner was the first to locate the suspect at the 18900 block of NE Couch Ln. according to police.

Gresham police said they received a radio call indicating that they had located the suspect. Another call came in quickly after saying there had been shots fired and an officer had been hit.

"I just live right up the street from it," Chris Steffens said. "Listening to it, at first I thought it was firecrackers. But, then five more went off, and I thought, no that's gunfire. Then we saw 20 cops go by our place rushing to the area."

There was an exchange of gunfire between the Fairview officer and the suspect. Officers said both were injured but are expected to survive.

Late Thursday afternoon, police confirmed the officer was released from the hospital. They say the suspect remains in stable condition at a Portland hospital.

They are not releasing their names at this time.

Deputies from Multnomah County and officers from Gresham, Fairview and Portland assisted in this incident. 

Police spent more than 12 hours gathering evidence in the case. The challenge, they said, was covering every inch of the massive crime scene looking for bullet casings, or anything else the suspect left behind in the neighborhood.

Couch Street was blocked off for most of the day, but residents were allowed to come and go if they needed.

Police have not yet said what led up to the crash, or why the driver took off running, noting that’s all still under investigation.

Thursday afternoon Fairview Mayor Ted Tosterud issued a statement of support for the officer.

“This incident reminds us all of the risk our police officers take to provide law enforcement services for our communities.  We are pleased the injuries do not seem to be life-threatening and wish the officer a full and speeding recovery.”

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.