Candlelight vigil held to honor boy killed in Battle Ground - KPTV - FOX 12

Candlelight vigil held to honor boy killed in Battle Ground

Posted: Updated:
Crowds gathered in Battle Ground to remember 3-year-old Jose Castillo-Cisneros following his killing Monday. (KPTV) Crowds gathered in Battle Ground to remember 3-year-old Jose Castillo-Cisneros following his killing Monday. (KPTV)
BATTLE GROUND, WA (KPTV) -

Friends, family and community members gathered for a vigil Friday night to honor and remember a 3-year-old boy who was killed earlier this week.

Jose Castillo-Cisneros, called “Pepe” by his family, died from injuries that police say happened at the hands of his mother's boyfriend,

The man accused of committing the crime, Ricardo Gutierrez, 39, faces a first degree murder charge.

Many people have reached out to the family to offer help, something appreciated by the boy’s grandfather.

“It’s amazing how people [are] showing up,” Fernando Cisneros said. “We appreciate that and [are] grateful.”

Cisneros said his family will have to move out of the house where the incident happened.

“Nobody want to come in because when you come in, you see Pepito walking, playing and even the crime,” Cisneros said.

To help the family, neighbor Robert Nelson has coordinated with the Pepe’s family to raise funds. Nelson said several businesses in Battle Ground will have donation jars, and t-shirts with the boy's photo and the message “Justice for Pepe” are being sold.

“His family has done so much for everyone else,” Nelson said.

A “Justice for Pepe” account has also been set up at Wells Fargo and the Cisneros family has created a GoFundMe account to pay for Pepe's funeral expenses.

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.