Smoke alarm alerts Hillsboro family to fire in girl's bedroom st - KPTV - FOX 12

Smoke alarm alerts Hillsboro family to fire in girl's bedroom started by laptop

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Hillsboro Fire & Rescue Photo: Hillsboro Fire & Rescue
Photo: Hillsboro Fire & Rescue Photo: Hillsboro Fire & Rescue
HILLSBORO, OR (KPTV) -

A smoke alarm alerted a sleeping family to a fire in a 3-year-old girl's bedroom that was caused by an overheating laptop computer.

Firefighters responded to an apartment complex on the 700 block of Autumn Creek Way at 3:45 a.m. Monday.

Crews arrived to find the fire had been put out by automatic sprinklers.

Investigators said a laptop left plugged in to charge was on a bed and overheated, igniting the foam top of the mattress.

The adults in the apartment removed the child from her bedroom, left the apartment and pulled the complex's fire alarm to alert neighbors.

Firefighters removed the ruined mattress from the home. The damage estimate is about $1,000.

Hillsboro Fire and Rescue advises laptop users to unplug all appliances when not in use. If charging laptops overnight, be sure to leave them on a noncombustible surface or on a cooling pad. Lithium-ion batteries are known to generate high heat when in charging cycle, according to firefighters.

For more information, go to hillsboro-oregon.gov/fire.

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.