Oregon City officers ruled justified in deadly shooting; suspect - KPTV - FOX 12

Oregon City officers ruled justified in deadly shooting; suspect tried to grab officer's gun

Posted: Updated:
Travis Moore, past jail booking photo Travis Moore, past jail booking photo
Scene of deadly officer-involved shooting in Oregon City in May. (Source: KPTV) Scene of deadly officer-involved shooting in Oregon City in May. (Source: KPTV)

A grand jury ruled two Oregon City Police Department officers were justified in the use of deadly force against a man who tried to grab an officer's gun.

Officers David Edwins and David Plummer will now return to duty after the grand jury's decision Wednesday.

They had been on leave since the shooting on the 200 block of South 2nd Street the afternoon of May 21.

The officers were serving an arrest warrant for 38-year-old Travis Anthony Moore. Investigators said Moore resisted arrest and pulled one of the officers into his apartment.

During the struggle, police said Moore lunged for a hammer and attempted to hit one of the officers on the head. An officer used a Taser on Moore, but said it had no effect on him.

Moore then tried to take control of a handgun from one of the officers, according to investigators, by grabbing at the holstered firearm and attempting to pull the trigger.  

The other officer shot Moore twice during the struggle for the gun. He was grazed on the arm and shot in the chest.

Police said he continued to fight with the officers even after being shot and could not be controlled until additional officers arrived at the scene.

Shortly after being taken into custody, Moore began to lose consciousness. The officers provided medical treatment until paramedics arrived, but Moore died at the scene.

One of the officers was taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries.

The Oregon State Forensics Services Division conducted a test and determined Moore was the major contributor of the DNA found on the grip of the officer's firearm.

Investigators also learned Moore had a long history of mental illness and had been off his medications for a considerable period of time.

His warrant stemmed from an altercation with a neighbor. Police said Moore attacked his neighbor and made derogatory statements about the man's sexual orientation.

The Oregon City Police Department will now conduct an internal review of the incident.

"This event was a tragedy. Mental illness has become the number one issue facing law enforcement. Our department has made crisis intervention training a priority; both of these officers had been trained in recognizing the signs of mental illness and de-escalation techniques. This incident has forever changed the lives of Mr. Moore's family and the officers involved," Police Chief Jim Band said in a statement.

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.