Northeast Portland family loses home in fire, pregnant mother bu - KPTV - FOX 12

Northeast Portland family loses home in fire, pregnant mother burned

Posted: Updated:
(KPTV) (KPTV)
Alisha Frazier, who was injured during the house fire. (KPTV) Alisha Frazier, who was injured during the house fire. (KPTV)
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

A northeast Portland family said they had only been living in their home for nine days when it went up in flames from cooking oil on the stove top.

Alisha Frazier said she was boiling oil, getting ready to cool french fries when she left for a minute to talk to her boyfriend Nate McCoy.

Then all of a sudden, the grease had boiled over and a fire erupted in their kitchen.

"I grabbed the fire extinguisher and tried to put it out, I thought it was out, but then the ceiling caught fire," McCoy said.

Frazier said she is 35 weeks pregnant, and suffered second degree burns on her arm when she tried throwing the boiling pot outside.

"My arm hurts a lot, and I have had to see a plastic surgeon because it's just open flesh," said Frazier.

The family got out in time but inspectors say they can't live there. The couples four kids are now staying with Frazier's grandma while they bounce from place to place until they find a new place big enough for their growing family.

"Our main goal now is to be together as one again," said McCoy.

While they search for a new home, McCoy has taken time off from his special education job to help out with the kids.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family. If you would like to help, click here: www.gofundme.com/Nate-Alisha

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.