Portland police arrest at least 19 on fifth night of protesting - KPTV - FOX 12

Portland police arrest at least 19 on fifth night of protesting

Posted: Updated:

Even though there were no scheduled events by the groups which have protested in Portland each night since the election of Donald Trump, police still clashed with demonstrators late into the night Saturday.

Police first reported the gathering crowd of several hundred people marching on Southwest 6th Avenue heading north from Pioneer Courthouse Square around 6:45 p.m.

Officers gave the group some leeway, allowing the protests but giving directions to move to the sidewalks.

Before long, though, some of the protesters became more combative with police, who said the protesters were throwing projectiles. Police began making arrest around 7:15 p.m.

The protests again affected commuters and drivers in the downtown area. TriMet bus services were delayed and stops were closed due to safety concerns. MAX line services were also disrupted as protesters either marched over the track areas or blocked with the sheer numbers of protesters or with items they would leave to block the trains

The conflicts between the protesters and police seemed to intensify as police reported bottles and lit flares being thrown by the demonstrators.

The night also so groups of counter-protesters, including some religious groups. There were also a large number of residents that did not seem to be a part of the different protests but were just watching conflict.

There were reports of more violence by the protesters directed toward bystanders, including a camera crew being attacked and two people be assaulted by a group of demonstrators.

This led police to become more aggressive directing the protesters, deploying flash bangs to move the crowds and making more arrests.

At one point after the protesters returned to the Pioneer Courthouse Square, officers located a stockpile of bricks and rocks near to area. They were able to secure the items before they could be used as projectiles.

The protesters continued to move around the downtown area, going from City Hall to Waterfront Park to Hawthorne Bridge, until police announced that everything in a two-block radius around Pioneer Courthouse Square was being closed.

The protest Saturday came less than a day after a protester was shot by a motorist on the Morrison Bridge and just hours after Portland Police Bureau Chief Mike said, "We're done with criminal activity in this city," during a news conference with Mayor Charlie Hales.

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.