Family of 4 safe after cooking fire damages Beaverton home - KPTV - FOX 12

Family of 4 safe after cooking fire damages Beaverton home

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: TVF&R Courtesy: TVF&R
BEAVERTON, OR (KPTV) -

Three children and one adult are safe after their Beaverton home went up in flames due to a cooking fire.

Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue received a call shortly after midnight Tuesday that a house was on fire in the 13000 block of Berthold Street.

Crews arrived to find the home heavily engulfed in smoke and flames coming from the kitchen area.

All four family members were able to escape safely and firefighters quickly extinguished the fire.

TVF&R says cooking fires are the leading cause of house fires. They recommend following these safe cooking tips:

  • Keep a close eye on what you're cooking.
  • Never leave food unattended on the stovetop.
  • Heat cooking oil slowly and never leave it unattended. Turn down the heat if it begins to smoke.
  • Keep combustibles away from the stove, and keep your cooking area clean, including the exhaust fan, oven and stovetop.
  • Keep a large lid close at hand in case of a pan fire.
  • If the fire is still in the pan or oven and has not spread to nearby counters or cabinets, you may be able to extinguish it yourself.
  • If you experience a cooking fire, and the fire is large or appears to be growing, do not attempt to extinguish it. Leave the house quickly and call 911 from a cellphone or neighbor's house.

To extinguish a pan or oven fire:

  • Put a lid on it. The easiest way to extinguish a small pan fire is with a pan lid. Turn off the burner and carefully slide a pan lid over the pan from the side. The lid will smother the fire. Do not move the pan until the fire is completely extinguished and the pan is cool. If you do not have a pan lid, you may also use a baking sheet or pizza pan.
  • Use a fire extinguisher only if the fire is small and has not spread outside the pan. The discharge of a portable fire extinguisher lasts between eight and 10 seconds.
  • Shut the door on oven or microwave fires and turn off the heat.

Never transfer a burning pan from the stovetop to the sink or out the back door. The fire may grow in size and burn you or spread to countertops. Also, never pour water on a grease fire. The flames will "splash," causing the fire to spread and likely result in burns to your body.

For more fire safety tips, visit TVFR.com.

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.